Wednesday, November 9, 2016

Found and lost no more (W. S. Merwin)

                      Now it is clear to me that no leaves are mine
                      no roots are mine
       that wherever I go I will be a spine of smoke in the forest
       and the forest will know it
                  
       we will both know it
       and that birds vanish because of something
       that I remember
       flying through me as though I were a great wind
       as the stones settle into the ground
       the trees into themselves
       staring as though I were a great wind
       which is what I pray for
           
       it is clear to me that I cannot return
       but that some of us will meet once more
       even here
       like our own statues
           
       and some of us still later without names
       and some of us will burn with the speed
       of endless departures
       and be found and lost no more

--W. S. Merwin, Now It is Clear
(published in The New Yorker, June 1970)

No comments:

Post a Comment