Tuesday, November 1, 2016

If I die (Pablo Neruda)

   If I die 
survive me with such great force 
that you waken the furies of the pallid and cold, 
from south to south 
lift your indelible eyes, 
from sun to sun 
dream your singing mouth. 

I don't want your laughter or steps to waiver, 
I don't want my heritage of joy to die. 
Don't call up my person. 
I am absent. 
Live in my absence as if in a house. 
Absence is a house so transparent 
that I, lifeless, will see you, 
living 
and if you suffer, my love, 
I will die again.  
--Pablo Neruda, Sonnet XCIV                  
        
Today is the Solemnity of All Saints,
and tomorrow is the Commemoration of All Souls.
Pray for your loved ones who have died, 
   and watch for more posts of remembrance 
throughout the month of November.

Poem source, in English and in Spanish:

No comments:

Post a Comment